Licence Conditions


Alcohol at any Village Hall Event.

The licencing law requires that there is a licence for the sale of alcohol at all events. You are selling alcohol if:

  • You are charging for alcoholic drinks at any event
  • If the event is ticketed and you are proving a free drink. (This is seen as selling as the cost is included in the ticket price and or the organisation providing the alcohol is providing the free drink.
  • If the event has an entrance charge and you are providing a free drink.

A licence is not required when:

  • The event is free and a drink is provided for free. (for example, a family wedding or party where alcohol is not charged for).
  • If people bring their own drink with them to consume on the premises.
  • If alcohol is donated by an individual (not an organisation charging for entrance).

These regulations have always been in place and are not new.

A Temporary Event Notice:

  • For most functions selling alcohol, an application for a ‘Temporary Event Notice’ (TENS) is required. Applications are made via Bedford Borough Licencing department under alcohol licensing and TENs. The current cost is £21 per licence. Please ensure you post applications off well before your event as you MUST have the licence before the event.
  • Prior to applying for a licence please make the Village Hall manager aware as there is a limit on the amount of TENs licences a venue can apply for in any 12 month period.
  • The Hall manager must have a copy of the licence prior to the event and the licence must be displayed at the event.
  • The person who applied for the TENs, named on the application is legally responsible for the sale of alcohol.

Licencing laws are set by the council and enforced by the licencing officer. The sale of alcohol and licences is monitored by the police, child protection and a number of other organisations. The licencing team are very strict on these regulations and have the power to withdraw not only an alcohol licence but also a venue premises licence. Without a premises licence, a venue is not legally permitted to hire out rooms.

If your event is licensable it is essential a TENs is displayed at the event and a copy passed to the hall manager or permission is sought from the trust to use their licence and a trust member has agreed to be present. Without this, it is illegal to sell alcohol and it must not be sold at the event.

The village hall currently has its own premises license in order to allow functions on the premises to a maximum of 150 people.

The certificate of permission is located on the wall in the front lobby.

PRS and PPL for Music

Community events and community groups are covered by the above licences held by the hall.

The licence does not cover groups who are using music and run for profit. These groups require their own licence.

The licence also does not cover copyrighted theatrical performances. The songwriter, composer for publisher must be contacted on these occasions, an individual copyright licence will normally be required.


Individual groups are responsible for checking they have the necessary insurance cover for activities.